Satisfying the taste buds of children is not that easy. But if you make fun healthy snacks for kids that are good looking and also align with their palate, they will love it. Foods that are mouth-watering for adults can be disgusting for the kids. Hence, the psychology of children should be kept in mind before giving them food to eat.
Healthy Snacks for kids are the best source to give extra nutrition to your child. It can be fun for your child and energizes them. Processed foods may fill your child’s tummy, but they are not a healthy option. Try to make easy healthy snacks for kids at home for your child. Here are 12 fun and healthy snack ideas for Kids who will actually eat them!
1. Yogurt : Yogurts have unconditional benefits. It is a source of calcium and protein. Toddlers need calcium to develop their bones stronger. Some yogurts contain added bacteria strains that are beneficial for the digestive system. Get yogurt that is free from artificial sugar. Moreover, avoid artificial flavoring by opting for plain and full-fat yogurt. Add fresh fruits and honey to increase sweetness. Also, don’t add honey if you are giving it to your child under 12 months. Children younger a year old can develop an infection called botulism.
2. Noodles: Noodles can be made in different ways according to the taste buds of your child. You can add veggies, cheese, or meat in it. Pasta is a source of complex carbohydrates- Cook pasta in your kid’s favorite shape. You can also keep it in the refrigerator. When needed, microwave it after adding veggies or cooked chicken.
3. Nuts: It is one of the healthy snack ideas for kids. Nuts are a source of healthy fats, antioxidants, and fiber. Fats are important for children’s growth. Some doctors suggest avoiding nuts for your child because of the risk of allergy. But if your kid is not allergic to them, they double as a great snack for them.
4. Banana Sushi: Banana is great for the health of kids. Banana sushi is a banana rolled in a whole wheat tortilla. You can add on peanut butter, Nutella, or almond butter to increase sweetness. Slice banana sushi and garnish some chocolate syrup on it. You can also give a banana to your kid as a healthy snack. It is one of the easy snacks for kids.
5. Crunchy Roasted Peas: If your kids don’t like mushy peas, you can try crunchy roasted pees for them. It is also easy to make them. Firstly, take out frozen peas from the fridge and coat them with olive oil. After that, grind peas and add paprika, onion powder, salt, and garlic powder in it. Spread it on a baking sheet and bake until it becomes brown and crispy. In seconds, you get a delicious healthy snack for kids.
6. Popcorn: Who doesn’t like popcorn? Children love popcorn. People tend to consider it unhealthy but this is not the case. It is healthy because it is made from whole grain. Don’t add toppings because they are unhealthy. However, microwavable popcorn is unhealthy. Instead, prepare it on a stove top. Add butter in it and sprinkle some cheese on it to make it tastier. Also, be cautious when giving popcorn to your younger children, as it can lead to choking.
7. Cottage Cheese: It is beneficial for people of every age and recommended by doctors to those who need calcium. Cottage cheeses are soft and creamy. This explains why kids from age 1 to 4 eat it easily. It is a source of selenium, calcium, and vitamin B12. It is also rich in proteins. Vitamin B12 helps in the growth and development of children’s brains. Give your children cottage cheese slices as a snack or you can sprinkle some dried fruits on it. You can also use it as a spread on a toast.
8. Oatmeal: Oats are a great source of fiber. Fiber increases the production of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract. Purchase oatmeal that is not high in sugar like flavored packets. Buy whole rolled oats and make your own oatmeal by adding cinnamon and apple for taste. To add some more protein and calcium, make oatmeal from milk instead of water. This way, your child will also experience the benefits of milk.
9. Smoothie: Smoothies are a delicious way to fill your kids’ tummies. Fruit smoothies are more beneficial than others, as they include a lot more nutrients. If your kid can drink veggie smoothies, add some veggies to it as well. Add some honey to reduce the unwanted taste of vegetables. Use fresh ingredients and avoid pre-packaged ingredients when preparing smoothies.
10. Boiled Eggs: Eggs are packed with nutrition. They are a source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, including selenium, riboflavin, and vitamin B12. They also include lutein and zeaxanthin that are beneficial for eyes. Eggs are a great snack and provide your child with essential energy. Also, it is one of the food sources of vitamin and chlorine, which helps in your child’s brain development.
11. Hummus: Humus has a nutty flavor, and it is one of the healthy snacks for kids. Hummus is usually made from chickpeas. Its soft, creamy texture makes it easy for your child to eat. It is a source of vitamin B6, iron, and folate. Serve hummus on the kid’s plate and add some vegetables and crackers for dipping. You can also make sandwiches by using hummus as a spread.
12. Olives: A variety of foods include olives as an ingredient. They are a rich source of healthy fats and antioxidants. Antioxidants protect your body from damaging molecules called free radicals. Olives are soft and easy to eat. Buy pitted olives for kids, or you can remove the pit before giving them to your child. Olives are present in the market in a variety of flavors. Make sure to buy mild flavors for your kids.
The Bottom Line
It’s common for children to get hungry between meals. Easy healthy snacks for kids are a great source to reduce their hunger with nutrients. Make sure to cook fun healthy snacks for kids to give them nutrition with tasty food.
Try to avoid processed foods for your child, as they are unhealthy and contain large amounts of sugar. Homemade snacks are the best for your child's health. Before making fun healthy snacks for kids, keep in mind what flavors your child prefers and you’re all set.
How did you like this blog post?
Please comment Yes below, if you liked it!
About The Author : Preeti Verma
Preeti is one of contributing writers at SnackPass Canada. She wants to helps you with issues related to growing kids and healthy eating.